Progress in Nepal!
We are pleased to announce that our partner Women for Human Rights, Single Women Group (WHR) in Nepal has received excellent news following their advocacy letter to the Army in Nepal.
The Army has approved requests to compensate conflict-affected families, and reverse discriminatory policies.
WHR worked with Army Single Women and Injured Family (ASIF) in Nepal to raise discriminatory Army policies regarding conflict-affected families. They held workshops and meetings with high level officials, and submitted an advocacy letter to the Army Chief on 27 June 2014.
WHR received a call from Army Headquarters over the weekend confirming the Army has approved their requests:
- Seven years’ salary to be paid as a lump sum to conflict-affected single women
- Improved scholarships for children in conflict-affected families
- Stipends for wives and mothers of disabled veteran soldiers
- Three-wheelers [small electric vehicles] for disabled soldiers
- 5% reservations for single women on Army recruitment
Congratulations to WHR, ASIF, and the widows of Nepal for this wonderful news!