ANNOUNCEMENT: Don’t miss our Widows for Peace through Democracy (WPD) Committee on the Status of Women/NY event on March 17th 2021
WIDOWS FOR PEACE THROUGH DEMOCRACY (WPD) are delighted to announce to our friends, partners and supporters that our application to hold our own Parallel Event has been accepted, and the event is confirmed as taking place on March 17.
WPD works with widows’ organisations worldwide and the UN to address widow discrimination and abuse, and this 17th March event launches our 2020 Dossier:
‘WIDOWS SPEAK OUT: Abuse and Discrimination, Resilience and Agency: A dossier of evidence for the attention of CEDAW 2020’.
Our extensive WPD research provides the evidence needed to justify prioritising the needs of deprived and abused widows in every country, and speakers in this webinar will include experts in the field, contributors to our Dossier, and the widows themselves. It will include recommendations for empowering widows and their advocates to engage in addressing the following:
- Combatting Stigma – modifying social and cultural attitudes to widowhood and eliminating Harmful Traditional Practices (HTPS)
- Gaining Inheritance, Land and Property Rights and Access to Justice for widows and their children
- Widows in Conflict situations and Religious and Ethnic discrimination
- Half-widowhood – wives of the missing or forcibly disappeared, and opportunities for remarriage
- Widowhood across the age group – Child Widows and Elderly Widows
- Collecting relevant Data on widows’ needs and influencing decision makers at international, national and regional levels
Our 17th March virtual event will be held from 3pm GMT/10am EST. A list of confirmed speakers will follow and further details of how to connect to the event will be posted on this website when available from CSW.
** This year’s CSW65 is the latest of a series of events hosted annually by the Commission on the Status of Women, with the whole event taking place from 15 to 26 March 2021: https://www.unwomen.org/en/csw/csw65-2021
Alice Lees firstname.lastname@example.org